Llantwit Major RFC | Under 13s 14 - 12 Porthcawl RFC | Under 13s
Harvey Jones
Try 1
Thomas George
Conversion 1
Daniel Bartlett
Try 1
Fred O’carroll
Conversion 1

Match Report
27 January 2019 / Team News

Win for U13s in terrible conditions

In weather conditions that have seen our professional Pro14 regions struggle to perform this weekend, Llantwit Major U13 Tigers bravely took to the field for a home return fixture with Porthcawl RFC on Sunday.

A howling wind blowing directly across the pitch was coupled with spells of freezing rain, with only occasional glimpses of sunshine to offer brief respite for both players and supporters on the exposed Youth pitch of Llantwit Major RFC.

In the wake of the fixture between the teams earlier in the season, played in perfect conditions at Porthcawl, hopes existed of an exciting and free flowing game.  Unfortunately, this was never going to happen on this occasion;  instead the match turned into an error strewn war of attrition.

To their credit, even with the almost unplayable conditions, both teams fought incredibly hard and tried to make a game of it.  Playing with the slope in the first period, the Tigers made some excellent breaks into the Porthcawl half one of which rewarded winger Harvey Jones with his first try for the team after some great work by Flynn Barry and Dexter Milburn.  The try was converted by Thomas George.

Porthcawl took advantage of some space in midfield later in the first half to get their own try with a great solo break, but the wind played its part with the conversion which was missed.  At half time the Tigers held a slender lead.

With conditions failing to improve, the decision was made to reduce the time to be played in the second half so as to get the players out of the wind and rain sooner.  With a number of injuries for both teams, the game was actually close to being cancelled, but to their credit the boys insisted on playing on much to the amazement of the gathered parents.

The second half was almost a mirror image of the first with one try for both teams.  The Tigers struck first after a sustained period of forward pressure, the Porthcawl line eventually breached by Dan Bartlett to take his try count to the season to 10.  Fred O-Carroll took over kicking duties and confidently converted to increase the home teams lead.

The visitors never gave up hope however, and managed to get a second try for themselves, taking advantage of some uncertainty in the Tigers midfield to squeeze over under the posts.  This try was converted with the last kick of the game, leaving the scoreboard at 14 - 12 for the Tigers.

Congratulations goes to the Tigers on their second victory of the season, but both teams should be applauded for their determination and attitude in defying the conditions and playing a committed game of rugby

Access to player list for this team is restricted. To view the player list you must be logged in and request access.