Porthcawl RFC | Under 13s 24 - 28 Llantwit Major RFC | Under 13s
Ethan Harding
1 Conversion
Kelyn Joseph
1 Try
Daniel Bartlett
2 Try
Thomas George
2 Conversion
Fred O’carroll
1 Try

Match Report
10 March 2019 / Team News

Two on the bounce for the U13s

With heavy rain putting pay to many games this Sunday, Llantwit Major RFC U13 Tigers were fortunate to find a playable surface at the picturesque Rest Bay pitch of Porthcawl RFC for this weeks game.

On most days a nicer venue would be hard to find, but on this occasion, the 50mph winds blowing straight off the Bristol Channel provided a challenge for players and supporters alike.  Even unloading the car before the game proved difficult with contents of boots being scattered around the exposed car park by the strong westerly gale.

This third head to the head of the season for the teams provided Porthcawl with the chance to avenge their previous 2 loses, but also gave the Tigers a chance to extend their winning run following last weeks victory away to Bedwas.  With only 2-points separating the teams when they last met in January, this fixture was expected to be another evenly matched encounter and this proved to be the case.

With the wind at their backs in the first half, the Tigers struck quickly with a classic burst from captain and number 8, Dan Bartlett, who dotted down under the posts to provide an easy conversion for kicker Thomas George.  Porthcawl quickly replied with their own try, but failed with the conversion with the ball almost blown back behind the kicker due to the wind.

Keeping the ball in hand, back rower, and eventual man of the match, Kelyn Joseph, was next on the score sheet with a barrelling run from close range.  This time the conversion was from a more difficult angle, but kicker Ethan Harding was able to curl the ball between the posts. Porthcawl responded once again with an unconverted try before the Tigers counter punched, with a close range effort finished by Dan Bartlett who managed to power over after some great build up play by both backs and forwards.  Supporters were treated to yet another superb conversion, this time by Thomas George who from wide on the left used the wind to draw the ball between the uprights.  

Porthcawl flew out of the blocks in the second half and took the lead with two converted tries, taking advantage of some weak Tigers defence.  And with the conditions now in their favour, the home team seemed to be on course to avenge their previous defeats.

The Tigers however, had other plans.  From their own half, and against all sound judgement, outside half Harvey Jones in his first game in the position, launched outside centre, Fred O’Carroll, who was able to outstrip the home defence with a blistering run and dot the ball down under the posts to take back the lead.  Even in front of goal the conversion was not a certainty as the wind had not abated one bit, but Thomas George took the responsibility and nailed this one as well to complete an incredible, 100% kicking performance by the goal kickers.

With 5-minutes remaining, the Tigers smartly reverted to playing keep-ball to run out the clock close to the Porthcawl line.  But one mistake provided the home team with the chance to clear their lines with a kick that was expertly dealt with by full back Tom Sheldon who positioned himself perfectly to deal with the threat.

The final whistle brought relief to both players and supporters, not only in holding out for the victory but as it coincided with a burst of heavy hail which sent everyone scattering for shelter.  

A great game and result for the Tigers, especially as they experimented with players in new positions and gave a debut to second rower Cameron Hegney who showed great promise and capped off a sterling performance with a storming second half run.

Commiserations to Porthcawl on this occasion, but Llantwit Major Tigers look forward to continuing the close rivalry next season.

Access to player list for this team is restricted. To view the player list you must be logged in and request access.